Super Rugby


St.George Queensland Reds fall 40-32 to New South Wales at Suncorp Stadium

The St.George Queensland Reds have lost to New South Wales 40-32 in their Round 14 derby at Suncorp Stadium.

In a high-scoring display, the Reds crossed for six tries and led by one-point with 15 minutes to play, before three Bernard Foley penalty goals sealed victory for the Waratahs.

Reds flyhalf Bryce Hegarty scored a double, winger Jock Campbell and lock Angus Blyth scored maiden Super Rugby tries, while Matt McGahan made his Queensland debut at fullback and set up a brace of tries in his first appearance in the maroon.

Reds head coach Brad Thorn said: “A frustrating night. A lot of good footy and positives out there. Six-tries-to-four, it’s a tough one to lose.
“The Rebels haven’t moved, the Brumbies had the bye, the Waratahs have gone past us, but not that much has changed. We’ve got some growth to do about what’s needed to get there (playing finals) and to be a part of it,” said Thorn.
The Waratahs opened the scoring in the fourth minute through Bernard Foley, before the flyhalf converted his own try to give the visitors a 7-nil lead.

After a Campbell charge down, Queensland dominated field position in the following minutes and soon replied with their first five-pointer, as Blyth burrowed his way through the defence for his first Super Rugby try. Hegarty’s conversion missed narrowly from the left-hand sideline to trail 7-5 after the opening ten minutes.

Queensland quickly added another try when Samu Kerevi and Campbell combined in the 13th minute. Kerevi pierced the defence at the half-way line, before the skipper found the University of Queensland flyer with a neat flick pass.

New South Wales regained the lead in the 21st minute via a Kurtley Beale try, but Queensland quickly hit back with their third five-pointer seven minutes later when Sefa Naivalu crossed in the left-hand corner on the back of a beautiful McGahan pass. Hegarty missed the tough conversion, as Queensland maintained a narrow 15-14 lead at halftime.

Queensland continued their try-scoring just seconds into the second forty when Hegarty crossed, after Chris Feauai-Sautia snatched an intercept in his own half and found the flyhalf for his fourth try of the season. Hegarty converted to extend their advantage to eight.

The Waratahs came within one-point of the hosts minutes later through an Alex Newsome try, but the Reds again responded with a five-pointer of their own to stretch their lead. It was Hegarty who found the line, after the flyhalf brilliantly stepped through the Waratahs defence to score his second of the night.

New South Wales recovered to retake the lead in the 53rd minute through a try to Michael Wells, before Bernard Foley slotted a penalty goal in the 60th minute to give the visitors a 31-27 lead.

Queensland refused to surrender and hit back with their fifth try of the night in the 65th minute, after McGahan launched a pinpoint cross-field kick to find Alex Mafi, who beat a pair of Waratahs defenders to score and give Queensland a 32-21 lead.

The one-point buffer wasn’t enough for the hosts, as New South Wales responded with a trio of Foley penalty goals in the final 13 minutes to seal the eight-point win and retain the Bob Templeton Cup for a sixth straight year.

The Reds travel across the Tasman next weekend to face the Chiefs, before they return to Suncorp Stadium to take on the Jaguares on Saturday June 1 at 7:45pm AEST. Tickets available via

St.George Queensland Reds 32 (Tries: Blyth, Campbell, Naivalu, Hegarty 2, Mafi, Conversions: Hegarty 1) defeated by New South Wales 40 (Tries: Foley, Beale, Newsome, Wells, Conversions: Foley 4, Penalties: Foley 4) at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane on May 18, 2019. Crowd: 12,236

Rugby Traveller