* required fields
The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) and FOX SPORTS today announced that FOX SPORTS will replay the Queensland Premier Rugby 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup ‘Match of the Round’ on a Wednesday evening for the remainder of the 2018 season.
For the first time, the 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup will enjoy national television coverage, meaning fans can watch Queensland’s best club sides go head-to-head in high definition and with no ad-breaks during play on FOX SPORTS each week.
This Saturday’s 2018 Hospital Challenge Cup ‘Match of the Round’ between Bond University and the 2017 Champions - The University of Queensland - will be shown on FOX SPORTS 503 from 5.00pm on Wednesday 20 June.
The QRU’s Interim CEO David Hanham said: “We’re delighted with this agreement with FOX SPORTS to replay the ‘Match of the Round’ on a Wednesday evening for the remainder of this season.
“We already have a great partnership with FOX SPORTS through the broadcast of Super Rugby and the National Rugby Championship. The code in Queensland can only benefit from this initiative, which will carry the historic rivalry of Queensland Premier Rugby into the lounge-rooms of Rugby fans across Australia.
“Today’s announcement will complement the QRU’s existing weekly free global live-stream offering of all four Hospital Challenge Cup games to the fans’ device of choice.”
The QRU’s production-company partner DoubleTake Sports - who have produced live-stream coverage of Queensland Premier Rugby since 2013 - will supply the broadcast to FOX SPORTS. DoubleTake Sports principal, Robert Matthews, is a former QRU Digital department staffer and the QRU is proud to have helped develop local talent within Queensland’s Rugby community that has made today’s agreement with FOX SPORTS possible.
The QRU’s promotion of Queensland Premier Rugby’s Hospital Challenge Cup will now include:
• Pre-promotion of the weekend’s rounds via the ‘Queensland Premier Rugby Weekly’ digital program and video offerings across QRU platforms.
• All four matches LIVE and FREE on Saturday afternoon to the device of the fans’ choice – available wherever you are watching on-line across the world, via redsrugby.com.au.
• ‘Sauce on the Sidelines’ with Brendan Hertel & ‘The Breakdown’ recaps the action from each weekend across QRU platforms.
• 'Why We Play the Game' - Queensland Premier Rugby's own mini-documentary series, profiling players within the competition.
• News Corp Queensland/Courier Mail online - review the weekend’s action in the ‘Five Things We Learned’, published on a Tuesday.
• NEW – FOX SPORTS Australia to replay the Hospital Challenge Cup ‘Match of the Round’ on a Wednesday evening.
History of the QRU’s Hospital Challenge Cup
The original Hospital Football Challenge in 1899 was a fund-raising venture for the Brisbane Hospital. Its trophy, the magnificent Hospital Challenge Cup, remains the most desirable silverware in Queensland Club Rugby.
Since reconstitution as the Queensland Premier Rugby Competition after World War II, the Cup has been claimed a competition-leading 22-times by University of Queensland FC, followed closely by historic rivals Brothers Rugby Club, on 21.
22 MARCH 2019