Super Rugby


Australia Schools fall to NZ, Barbarians claim thriller over Fiji

The BMW Australia Schools team have fallen to New Zealand Schools 34-11 at T.G. Millner Field in Sydney on Saturday afternoon.

In front of a crowd of over 2,000 people, the Australia Schools side fought hard against their New Zealand counterparts, but trailed 10-6 at the break.

New Zealand’s talent in their outside backs shone through in the second half scoring four tries to one to ultimately take the game away from the Australia Schools side.

Meanwhile the Australia Schools Barbarians side claimed a 21-20 win over Fiji, with tries to Dylan Dowling and Brody MacAskill. Queensland’s Campbell Parata kicked two conversions and two penalty goals, including one in the final two minutes of the game to secure victory. Jordan Petaia kicked Australia’s other penalty goal.

BMW Australia Schools Head Coach, Pat Langtry said: “Congratulations to New Zealand, they were a strong side and today were too good for us.

“I’m very proud of the way that our lads played. They backed themselves, played with conviction and really took it to New Zealand.

“We just needed to finish off some of our opportunities to create more pressure on the scoreboard.

“The whole squad has taken a lot from this experience and hopefully will assist them in their Rugby journey for the years ahead.”  

The BMW Australia Schools got off to a strong start against New Zealand, hammering the New Zealand line in the opening minutes of the International.

It was the visitors who were the first to score when Jeriah Mua crashed over in the corner after a sustained period of pressure on the young Men in Gold.

Australia struggled to maintain long periods of possession with the New Zealand defence creating turnovers.

In the 16th minute Tupou Vaa’I crossed for New Zealand’s second try, creating a 10-0 gap on the scoreboard.

A courageous effort by Australian Captain, Will Harrison began to turn the momentum of the first half as the Aussies worked their way into the game with some consistent attacks.

Two unanswered penalties allowed Australia Schools to close the gap to 10-6 at the half time break.

The second half saw New Zealand score an opportunistic try through Etene Nanai who pounced on a loose ball to run away to score underneath the posts and give New Zealand Schools a 17-6 lead.

Australia fought and scrapped their way back into the game with Darcy Breen finishing off a brilliant team move to score in the corner and close the deficit to 17-11.

New Zealand scored three unanswered tries as the visitors started to wreck damage on a courageous Australian defence, taking an unassailable 34-11 lead.

Australia fought hard at the death to breach New Zealand’s defence again but were the clock worked against them leaving the final score at 34-11.